Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Spicy Curried Coconut Yam Soup

Hi interweb friends. Today is Halloween. It is also a Wednesday so for those of you who do not live in a Halloween-obsessed town, or for those of you who have a real job, it might be rather anticlimactic. Lucky for me, my town is so weird that it is a pretty rare occurrence to go downtown on any day and not see someone dressed up. My favorite staple was Robert, a gentleman who dressed up in pink women's clothes and walked up and down the main drag all day, everyday, very slowly. Unfortunately, he stopped showing up in mid 2008. 

At any rate, I've been feeling rather under the weather lately. I don't know about you, but all I want to do when I'm sick is lay around and eat soup. So that is what I did! In case you haven't noticed, I've been on a little curry kick lately. So obviously this soup was curried, and since it is fall I obviously have been using as many yams (or sweet potatoes) as possible soo...I made curried coconut yam soup! Mine ended up being preeeetty spicy, but I have adjusted the recipe down for you. This soup is so easy to make it's sort of cheating. But whatever because it's also real tasty. Also as a side note- I use Cardamom all the time because I have it, if you don't have it on hand, go without! It will still be delicious. 


Spicy Curried Coconut Yam Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 yam (or sweet potato)
  • 1/2 C coconut milk
  • 1 C veggie stock 
  • 1.5 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne 
  • 1/2 tsp garam masala
  • 1/8 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/8 cardamom
Directions
  • Preaheat oven to 400F
  • Poke yam all over with fork prongs
  • Roast yam, about 1 hour. The yam will be down when a knife or fork can be pushed into the yam with little resistance
  • Allow yam to cool, no use putting a searing hot yam in a blender and causing an explosion!
  • Now that your yam is slightly cool, add all the ingredients to a blender.
  • Blend
  • Serve! Cilantro is an especially enticing garnish. 

Ingredients!

Spices

Soup!

No comments:

Post a Comment